Department: Customer Service/Delivery
For a mail carrier, the average salary at the entry level is $19.8/hour. Depending on some other factors, the salary can be more in certain cases. As this is a permanent position, the appointed person is entitled to all federal benefits.
Mail Carriers, also known as the City Carriers are assigned a specific geographical area. Their duty is the delivery of the incoming mails, and collecting the outgoing mails, either on foot or in a motor vehicle.
As the City Carriers have to directly interact with the public and they are representing the US Postal Service, it is essential that they have a good professional appearance. They must wear the approved uniform, and make sure that it is tidy and well fitted. Also, they must possess good communication skills, so that they can interact effectively and smartly with the public.
Mail Carriers need to follow a predesigned work chart. They are expected to perform their duties while facing challenges like – constantly changing roads and weather conditions.
The key responsibilities of a Mail Carrier :
- Charting routes for different classes of mail, according to their delivery sequence, while considering the reestablished routes.
- Rearranging and relabeling the cases, as per the requirement.
- For quick and systematic delivery, the Mail Carriers set a sequence of delivery for the mails collected from the distribution box.
- Preparing and separating different classes of mail, that are to be carried by trucks to relay boxes on the route for successive delivery.
- Handling the undeliverable mails, in coherence to the establishment process.
- Delivering mails on a preset route, either on foot or by a vehicle. This activity is a part of the regular work schedule. They are also required collect to additional mails from relay boxes as per the requirement.
- Collecting mails from the street letter boxes and accepting letter from customers. They may have to deliver certain mails that exclusively contain parcel post, or may have to collect such mail at prompt request.
- Using technical equipment, such as portable electronic scanners are per the instructions.
- Delivering and collecting charges on customs, postage-due and Cash on Delivery mails.
- Handling the delivery and obtaining mail receipts for registered and insured mails.
- Accounting for all the deliveries assigned and submitting the collected payment and delivery receipts.
- Making corrections in the mailing cards from advertisers with the names and addresses of customer, if necessary.
- Helping customers by answering to their queries related to the postal procedures for processes like postal address change. Mail carriers also provide these customers with different postal forms, as per the customer's need.
- Reporting to the supervisor about any disturbance or irregularities in terms of mail delivery, these may include – unusual incidents related to street letter boxes, or the centralized delivery equipment.
- Checking hotels and other establishments to make sure that the mail for the residents is undeliverable.
- Delivering stamps and other paper supplies to a person, a specific station, and other designated points of delivery.
- Serving at delivery window of carrier.